contact us

We'd love to get in touch with you. All inquiries, questions and comments about our research are welcome, and we will respond shortly.

Name *

Farm Ridge Ct
Baltimore, MD, 21209
United States

The official website of ISAMR (International Student-Led Arctic Monitoring and Research).

2018 Summer Arctic Trip

August 10, 2018


Today was our first full day of field work. After eating a delicious breakfast at the CNSC, we headed to our first site; a fen. We both took macro data on the site, despite the cold, we completed our work in time for a great lunch. After lunch we headed to our second site; our first bog! This time one of us collected micro data, and the other measured ALT value (active layer thickness).Throughout the day we continued collecting plants for our duo-tangs, which we later finished that night. The hike back to the vans was brutal; but we made it, we walked through boreal forest covered in water. That night we got home for dinner at 5:30 for tacos; after dinner was finished, we prepared for our move to nester 1 tomorrow. After all the work was done we wrapped up the night with a dip stiggy creek, lots of fun, lots of shivering, and lots of bugs. We rushed back to the CNSC for warm showers and a fabulous talk by Ryan Brook, who informed us about the helicopter safety, and what to expect at Nester 1. The day was long and amazing but we are more than ready for bed, but so excited for tomorrow. 

-Corinne, Olivia  

August 9, 2018


Eleven of us had an abrupt wake up at 5 in the morning in the basement of Jane and Jim’s house. We all scrambled to change and pack as fast as possible and then rushed to the airport. Luckily our plane was delayed and we had time to have breakfast at the airport. We got on a tiny plane en route to Churchill and even got a shoutout on the plane. Slowly the landscape changed to beautiful fens and bogs that looked really lush from the air. We then touched down and walked into the smallest airport we had ever  seen. We loaded our enormous pile of luggage into a truck and boarded a bus to the Churchill Northern Studies Centre (CNSC). We got a tour of the CNSC, got our rooms, and had a delicious lunch. We gathered our gear and prepared to set out on the tundra. We piled into some cars and drove to one of the sites to practice. Unfortunately it started to rain so we had to go to a different site. At this site we put on our rain gear and went out to collect plant samples that we memorized the names of, prior to the trip. We flattened the plants into folders using tape. These are called duotangs. Then we rushed to a barbecue with the junior rangers and hung out there getting to know eachother and eating some great food. Finally we watched the sunset over the water at Cape May. Both of us are looking forward to tomorrow and what the rest of the trip brings.

-Claudia and Mesra

August 8, 2018


Today was the first day of our long arctic adventure. We met at Julie’s house at 4 in the morning, packed our cars, and left for the airport. Our first leg of the trip had a small complication when they wouldn’t let Mark Dhruv, the GIS expert, on the plane after he got stuck in security, but it all worked out. This was my first flight ever. I didn’t know what to expect. The airport was pretty sweet, I got smoothie king and didn’t have to wait in the line very long, but the plane ride was different. I got some pretty bad motion sickness that didn’t go well with the fact that I only had one hour of sleep. I wore my trusty sea bands (which help prevent sea sickness) so everything worked out. Our first flight took us to Minneapolis. We dashed to our second flight which was in a much much tinier plane that took us too Winnipeg. For lunch we went to this amazing falafel restaurant that had plenty of vegan options. Shortly after, we met our new friends from Kelvin. We did some “speed dating” and played team games to bond a little bit. Everyone was so nice. By the time we finished our games, it was about noon. The day was barely over. Then we practiced probing the ground and looking at macro data. Finally we had a big pizza dinner with the Kelvin kids and our hosts, Jane and Jim, and some past ISAMR members. It was a very exciting first day. We are all very eager to get some sleep after a long day.